« New Look, Better Functionality for Library Database Page | Main | Going Mobile In the Library »

The Job Search: Consider All the Options

Guest Blogger Katie Farrell provides us her thoughts on the job search process. Check out her previous posts regarding staying sane while searching for jobs and navigating the job interview process, turning down a job offer and dealing with rejection.

If you’re like me then when you graduated your main focus was looking for a full-time job. In the past, this has been the natural progression: go to school and then land full-time work. But in this tough job market, it is very likely that you will have to consider other options.

1. Look for part-time work: A part-time job may not be ideal but it offers a paycheck and valuable experience for your resume. Also, there is always the possibility of it leading to a full-time position down the road.

2. Consider temporary work: Temporary jobs can offer great experience. Many times, temporary work is not advertised like full or part-time jobs so reach out to your contacts and see if they have anything available on a temporary basis. I personally received a temporary job where I did my internship in graduate school which has recently led to a permanent part-time job. It’s definitely a step in the right direction.

3. Look outside of your field: Although you went to school for something specific, chances are you have a lot of talents that can be used in many ways. I’ve seen many people limit themselves to their field of choice, completely ignoring other possibilities. Don’t do this. Think of what you can offer and apply for different kinds of jobs. It may be intimidating to leave a field that you’re familiar with but at some point, you will need a job, any job. Embrace the possibilities and you never know where they will take you.

The job market is tough and I can definitely attest to this. However, if you’re savvy and are willing to think outside of the box, something will come your way. I’m happy to announce that I have a part-time job at the Albany Public Library and will be returning to the University Libraries as a temporary part-time reference librarian. I still haven’t landed a full-time job but combined, these two opportunities offer full-time hours. I am very grateful for these opportunities and am excited to see where they lead. Be flexible and creative and you too will find a job!