« December 2006 | Main | February 2007 »

January 18, 2007

New Collections in the German and Jewish Intellectual Émigré Collection

emigrea.jpg

Below are abstracts for collections recently added to the German and Jewish Intellectual Émigré Collection. The complete list of Émigré collections is available here.

AUFBAU (NY) (1939-2005), German-Jewish newspaper
Collection, 1957-1998, 6 cubic ft.
Bound copies of "Wiedergutmachung" section of the newspaper, 1957-1977; unbound issues, 1980s-1990s; articles, theses, and other publications written about the Aufbau.

BLUMENTHAL, FRITZ (1913-2002), physician, painter, printmaker
Papers, 1922-2002, 7 cubic ft.
Family and personal documents; correspondence, 1930-1996; clippings; manuscripts and typescripts of poetry, as well as published poems; sketchbooks; correspondence and clippings concerning exhibitions of Blumenthal's art (water colors and monotypes); materials and correspondence on radioactive fallout from the 1950s and 1960s. Fritz Blumenthal came to the U.S. in 1938 after having received his Doctor of Medicine degree in 1937 from the University of Bern, Switzerland. Although Blumenthal remained a practicing physician, he continued to write poetry, paint and produce monoprints and his work was exhibited throughout the U.S. and Europe during his lifetime.

FODOR, LADISLAUS (1898-1978), playwright
Papers, 1941-1980, 2 cubic ft.
Correspondence; playscripts, film treatments and synopses (originals and photocopies), in Hungarian, German and English. The main collection of Fodor's papers is at the Deutsche Nationalbibliothek, Frankfurt am Main.

GLUECKSOHN-WAELSCH, SALOMÉ (1907- ), geneticist
Papers, 1928-1998, 27 cubic ft.
Correspondence; personal documents, including awards, citations, diplomas; grant applications; reviews; publications; National Academy of Science files; conference, seminar and lecture materials; photographs; extensive reprint collection in the field of genetics. Dr. Waelsch received her Ph.D. from the University of Freiburg, Germany in 1932, but was forced to flee Hitler Germany one year later with her first husband, biochemist Rudolf Schoenheimer. Her first position in the U.S. came in 1936 as a Research Associate at Columbia University, a position she held for nineteen years. Finally, in 1955, she was offered a full-time faculty position in the Department of Genetics at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. In 1979, Waelsch was elected to the National Academy of Sciences and in 1993, she was awarded the National Medal of Science.

HUTSCHNECKER, ARNOLD (1898-2000), psychoanalyst, psychotherapist
Papers, 1925-1994, 5 cubic ft.
Correspondence, including copies of letter to and from Richard M. Nixon; publications by Hutschnecker; newspaper clippings; diaries; photographs; Richard Nixon materials, including a copy of Hutschnecker's unpublished typescript, "Richard Nixon: His Rise to Power – His Self Defeat." Arnold Hutschnecker, the author of the bestseller The Will to Live, became Richard Nixon's personal therapist in 1952 and remained his personal friend and consultant through Nixon's years in the White House.

KRISTELLER, PAUL OSKAR (1905-1999), Renaissance scholar, philosopher
Publications, 1938-1978, 1 cubic ft.
Reprint collection of Kristeller's publications, 1938-1978. The main collection of Kristeller's papers is located at Columbia University, New York.

LEDERER, WALTHER (1908-200?), economist
Papers, 1929-2003, 7 cubic ft.
Publications of Walther Lederer; publications of his uncle, Emil Lederer; correspondence between Walther and his first wife, Ruth Klein Lederer, 1929-1931; personal documents. Walther Lederer came to the U.S. in 1933 and, after completing postgraduate work at the University of Iowa, held teaching positions at Hunter College in New York, the University of Delaware in Newark, and Queens College in New York. In 1942, Lederer accepted his first position in Washington, D.C. as an economist for the Board of Economic Welfare. In October 1945, he moved to the U.S. Department of Commerce, Office of Business Economics, Balance of Payments Division, and in May 1954 became Chief of the Division. Lederer continued in that position until 1969.

LEHR, DAVID (1910- ), pharmacologist
Papers, 1935-2005, 3 cubic ft.
Typescripts and original materials used for Dr. Lehr's autobiographical account, Austria Before and After the Anschluss (1998); correspondence and documentation concerning legal cases; memorabilia of his teacher and mentor Dr. Ernst Peter Pick; documents; newspaper clippings; publications. Dr. Lehr, who emigrated to the U.S. in 1939, was a full-time faculty member of the New York Medical College for 43 years and served as the first Chairman of the Department of Pharmacology for 25 years.

LIEPMANN, KLAUS (1907-1990), violinist, conductor
Papers, 1933-1990, 1 cubic ft.
Photographs; clippings; recordings of Klaus Liepmann (violin) and as conductor of M.I.T. orchestra and choral groups; copies of unpublished short writings on musical topics, as well as longer typescripts including "Music at M.I.T.," Liepmann's autobiography "Fifty Years in America," as well as a biography of his father, Moritz Liepmann. Liepmann was considered the "Father of Music" at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He was the first to bring music to the humanities department there and became the first full-time director of music and conductor of the M.I.T. choral society and orchestra.

RIESER, MAX (1893-1981), philosopher
Publications, 1940-1976, .33 cu.ft.
Reprints and photocopies of publications of Max Rieser.

ROSENHAUPT, HANS (1911-1985), educator, administrator
Papers, 1932-1983, .33 cubic ft.
Photocopies of articles, speeches, short stories, newspaper clippings and tributes, 1932-1983. Hans Rosenhaupt, who came to the U.S. in 1935, taught at Colorado and Knox Colleges, and was Director of Admissions at Columbia University, 1948-1958. From 1958-1981, Rosenhaupt served first as National Director, and later as President of the Woodrow Wilson Foundation.


January 3, 2007

New Collections

Below are a few collections recently acquired by the Grenander Department. Complete lists of the Department's collections are available here.

Bridge Line Historical Society (MSS-129) - The Bridge Line Historical Society (BLHS) was founded in 1990 to document the history of the Delaware & Hudson Railway. The collection includes the BLHS's newsletter, The Bulletin, as well as maps, drawings, publications, and related material. The Grenander Department has only just begun to receive records from the BLHS and expects to steadily receive additional material from the organization in the months and years to come.

Business and Professional Women's Club of Schenectady (APAP-218) - The records of the Business and Professional Women's Club of Schenectady joins the records of the Albany and New York State organizations already held by the Grenander Department. The collection includes meeting minutes, news clippings, publications, programs, scrapbooks detailing the club's activities and accomplishments, and photographs from its organization in 1927 through 2006.

David Coplon (APAP-288) - The collection includes material from the Schenectady chapter of Committee for a Sane Nuclear Policy (SANE); local anti-Vietnam war organizations; Church and Laity United, Schenectady; and groups advocating for Middle East peace. Much of the material dates from the 1970s.

Robert Gross (APAP-291) - The records were created during Gross' work with the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty (NCADP), Journey of Hope, Lighting the Torch of Conscience, and other activities in opposition to the death penalty. The NCADP leads and coordinates the movement to end state killing in the United States. Its 120 member organizations include civil and human rights groups, legal advocacy and public interest groups, and virtually every major church or religious denomination in the country. Journey of Hope...from Violence to Healing is an organization that is led by murder victims' family members. It conducts public education speaking tours and addresses alternatives to the death penalty. The collection includes: NCADP state files, programs, and organizations; Journey of Hope...From Violence to Healing administrative files, videotapes, photographs, and press packets related to speaking tours; and material from the Lighting the Torch of Conscience march in 1990.

Geof Huth (MSS-137) - The collection includes artworks produced by Geof Huth (including poetry, fiction, essays, aphorisms, visual poems, dramatic works, and comics), biographical records, extensive correspondence, records of his various micropresses, weblogs, audiovisual recordings of sound poems and presentations given at professional conferences, and a large collection of small and micropress publications focused on visual and experimental poetry. Huth's reflections on donating his papers, including the finding aid he wrote for his collection, are here. After a bit of editing, the Grenander Department will make the finding aid available from here.

Women's Building, Inc. (APAP-292) - The Women's Building, Inc. is the women's community center of the Capital Region located at 79 Central Avenue in Albany, New York and operated by the Holding Our Own foundation. The Women's Building's mission is to create an environment where differences are respected, leadership is shared, all women's strengths are recognized, all women's growth is supported, and a diversity of age, race, education, income, physical and mental ability, sexual orientation, religion, and social background is seen as enriching. The organization's goals are to: provide a resource center and clearinghouse for information of interest to women; a multi-purpose space for cultural, informational, and recreational events of interest to women and children including meeting rooms, office rental for women's organizations, services, commercial, and professional enterprises, and a performance area; and to enhance a sense of community among women throughout the Capital Region. The collection includes records such as meeting minutes, grant applications, material related to the Women's Building's capital campaign, publications, program material, and other administrative material.