From the Great Experiment to the University
The M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives welcomes a new exhibit, "From the Great Experiment to the University: Historic Images of the University at Albany, 1844 - 2004." The exhibit will run from October 10, 2012 through April 15, 2013 in the Science Library Atrium.
Founded in 1844 as the New York State Normal School, the University at Albany was the first state funded school for higher education in New York and fourth in the nation. Using documents, photographs, and artifacts, this exhibit traces the University's administrative history and student culture in the 19th and 20th Centuries, as it transitioned from the New York State Normal School to the New York State College for Teachers to the University at Albany.
In 1962, as part of SUNY's expansion plan, the College for Teachers was designated a university adopting the model of a broad-based public research institution, charged with providing a liberal arts education for large numbers of undergraduates and a robust range of graduate programs.
Exhibit prepared by Special Collections' Faculty members Jodi Boyle and Brian Keough. In December 2012, University Archivist Geoffrey Williams will provide a guided tour of this exhibit. Specific date for this guided tour will be forthcoming.
For more information about the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, please visit: http://library.albany.edu/speccoll/.